Kenneth E. Ortiz (M.Div.) is the chief content creator and podcast host for Theology for the Rest of Us. He is a pastor at Cities Church in St. Paul, MN, a published author, and instructor at two schools; he’s assistant professor of theology & history and associate director of college recruiting at Bethlehem College & Seminary and also serves as adjunct professor of ethics at Spurgeon College.
Kenneth has two undergraduate degrees, two graduate degrees, and has completed additional coursework in various disciplines. He’s currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Historical Theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, studying the development of neo-evangelicalism in the twentieth century.
Kenneth has more than 15 years of ministry experience. He has also been a successful entrepreneur. In addition to publishing content for Theology for the Rest of Us he has also written for Desiring God and Just Disciple.
Kenneth also has a TEDx Talk called “How to be a Great Mentor.” It has been watched more than 85,000 times worldwide.
On a personal note, Kenneth is a Disney enthusiast, loves board games, and he’s a big fan of Philadelphia and Villanova sports teams. He is married to Malaina (she has a B.A. in Intercultural Ministry Studies, a B.A. in Bible & Theology, and an M.A. in Intercultural Leadership). They live in Bloomington, MN and have one daughter.
2019-Present Cities Church
- Currently serving as bi-vocational Pastor.
- Oversee hospitality team and assimilation processes.
- Manage church-wide communications and periodicals.
2016-2022 Bethany Global University
- Dean of Online Education and Professor of theology and contemporary issues.
- Taught courses (residential and online) in theology, ethics, leadership, missiology, and public policy.
- Oversaw and managed strategic partnerships.
- Created digital content for content marketing strategies.
- Developed and brought multiple degree programs to market.
2013-2016 Mosaic Church
- Served as Student Ministry and Young Adults Ministry Coordinator.
- Assisted in management of church-wide periodicals.
2005-2013 Teen Mania Ministries
- Served as Director of Operations for “Acquire the Fire” youth conferences.
- Oversaw logistics for thirty-three youth conferences across North America (average attendance 5,000+ per conference); negotiated contracts with vendors, venues, labor unions, merchandisers, talent managers.
- Managed annual budget of more than $3million.
- Managed team of five full-time staff and 60+ interns.
- Served as coach/trainer for mission trip leaders.
- Preached/taught at missions training seminars and coached short-term mission trip leaders.
- Helped to lead 40+ short-term mission trips.
2003-2012 Real Estate Entrepreneurship
- Self-employed landlord, property manager, and commercial mortgage broker; frequently “flipped” residential properties and paper assets.
2006-2008 New Foundations Charter School
- Substitute Teacher
- Coached middle school basketball and flag football
- Taught SAT Prep classes
Education & Training
Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., Historical Theology (in progress; anticipated 2023)
- Th.M., Pedagogy (in progress; anticipated 2022)
- Master of Divinity
- Bachelor of Arts, Biblical Studies
Harvard Medical School, Harvard University
- Completion of coursework in genetics via HMX Fundamentals program
Warren National University
- Bachelor of Science, Organizational Psychology.
Berean School of the Bible
- Completion of two-years of coursework, completed all requirements for denominational ministerial credentials
BLAST Training Program
- Completion of apprenticeship program for authors led by best-selling author Shannon Ethridge